In 1853, Bavarian-born Levi Strauss moved to San Francisco to open dry goods business. The first store location is at the 90 Sacramento Street address in San Francisco. Jacob Davis, a tailor from Reno, Nevada, frequently purchased bolts of cloth from Levi Strauss & Co.'s wholesale house. In 1872, Jacob contacted Strauss about patenting the concept of a riveted pair of denim trousers. The year following, 1873, the riveted pair of denim trousers is born. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office grants patent #139,121 for this innovation.
The Two Horse logo demonstrates the quality of Levi’s Jeans with two horses tries to pull apart the jeans. The logo was first branded into “XX” jeans in 1886 and continues to use for today. In 1895, Levi Strauss & Co. introduces the first bicycle pants, which designs for modern cyclist. Until 1901, Levi Strauss & Co. was ready to introduce the jeans with two back pockets. Before that, men only walked around with a right back pocket on their Levi’s.
By Vance Ferguson:
Looking back at Levi's extensive history in 2017, the original Levi's storefront on 90 Sacramento Street in San Francisco has been closed for over a century, but the small denim company successfully grew into a global brand. Jeans and Levi's will always be synonymous with each other because of the success the brand created through market expansion, patents and trademarks. Throughout the 20th century, Levi's entered into the global market with innovative products (501 jeans, white denim, khaki clothing and leisurewear) that offered consumers a piece of American culture. With the success of the Levi's brand, the company decided in the late 20th century to offer new opportunities with Levi's vintage, Levi's Made and Crafted, Dockers and exclusive deals (e.g. WalMart) to provide extensive offerings to consumers. From denim jackets to vintage jeans, Levi's is still one of the most coveted and fashionable choices. Recently, brands like Vetements, Off White and Redone have even introduced reworked vintage Levi's items with great success. Though the original store is gone, it is incredible to see how this privately-held company grew into one of the most recognizable companies in history. The flagship store in San Francisco is now located at 815 Market Street, and offers a wide variety of products and services.